Article Submission Guidelines
To Authors Planning to Submit an Article to JIBS :
For presenters at the 73rd Conference of the JAIBS, held on September 3rd and 4th by Tokyo University of Foreign Studies, who would like to have their papers published in the volume 71 of JIBS (Journal of Indian and Buddhist Studies, Indogaku Bukkyōgaku kenkyū 印度學佛教學硏究), please provide the following four documents: in addition to (1) the Article Draft, please provide (2) an Abstract of your article, (3) the Article Submission Form, and (4) the Article Data Collection Form in accordance with the guidelines listed below.
Before submission, all drafts must be reviewed by a member of the editorial and review board member. In principle, this is a person affiliated with the author or the author’s organization. Please fill out the Article Submission Form and send it to the Editorial Review Board members together with Article Draft and Article Abstract files by e-mail. The Editorial Review Board members will handle the submission of the Article Submission Form.
However, in a situation where the article cannot be reviewed by a board member, be sure to include a document explaining the reason for this along with the draft. If approved, a review will be conducted by an editorial committee arranged by our office. Please be aware that the editorial and review board reserves the right to reject articles for publication.
(Updated July 13, 2022)
|Formatting Requirements and Sample Documents (Click text to open in a separate window)|
|(1) Article Draft||(Templates) Vertical Typesetting Template (Word) / (Ichitarō) / Horizontal Typesetting Template (Word) / European Languages (Word)
(Tool) Page Calculation Software for Excel (for Japanese article only)
|(2) Article Abstract||Abstract entry form (Click to Download)|
|(3) Article Submission Form||Word Document / PDF (Click to Download)|
|(4) Article Data Collection Form||Word Document / PDF (Click to Download)|
Draft Submission Details
- (1) Article Draft
- (2) Article Abstract
- (3) Article Submission Form (The Editorial Review Board members will handle the submission of the Article Submission Form)
- (4) Article Data Collection Form
- (5) Deadlines, Submission Procedures, etc.
(1) Article Draft
- Submissions are limited to articles whose content is the same as a presentation given at the aforementioned conference.
- For authors who intend to submit an article, please carefully read the document Indogaku Bukkyōgaku kenkyū Ronbun, Shōroku no Shippitsu ni kansuru Chūi Jikō『印度学仏教学研究』論文・抄録の執筆に関する注意事項 (“Items to Keep in Mind Regarding the Authorship of Articles and Extracts for the Journal of Indian and Buddhist Studies“) before creating your draft. (Please refer to this example (September 7, 2016) and Abbreviations on Vedic literature for citations and bibliography style.)
- Please be sure not to exceed the allotted page limit listed on the Genkō tō no Irai 原稿等の依頼 (Call for Papers) document that has been sent out by mail.
- Please be aware that if we receive a draft that exceeds the allotted page limit, although we will request a re-draft from the author, due to constraints on our publishing schedule, there may be cases where we are unable to include the paper in the journal.
- Please do not exchange unused pages from your page limit with other authors.
- If your draft includes images and/or diagrams, please adjust the length of the main text to fit both text and images within the page limit. For documents that include images or diagrams, there may be cases where we may request reimbursement for any additional publishing expenses incurred.
- All notes should be sequentially numbered, and placed together at the end of the document. (i.e., endnotes. Footnotes are not permitted.)
- Please include a list of keywords at the end of the document.
- A brief statement about the author will be included at the end of each article, so please be sure to include your occupation, position, or the university you have attended or are attending at the end of your draft. Please refer to the latest volume of Indogaku Bukkyōgaku kenkyū 印度學佛教學硏究 for concrete examples. Please be aware that we may make revisions to this information in order to maintain a unified format.
- (Example 1) For articles in Japanese: ○○大学教授，文博
- (Example 2) For articles in European Languages: (Professor, _______ University)
(2) Article Abstract
- For each paper submitted, we request an abstract be made and submitted on a separate sheet of paper. If the paper is written in Japanese, please be sure to attach an English-language abstract of 50–200 words in length, as well as a Japanese translation of the abstract. For drafts written in European languages, please be sure to send a Japanese-language abstract of around 800 characters in length.
Please be aware that each author must have their English-language abstracts checked by a native user of English.
- Please use a separate sheet or piece of paper to keep English and Japanese-language abstracts separate from the main article. Please follow the the pre-defined format (explained above) when creating your article. The completed electronic documentation may be sent as an e-mail attachment.
- Please be aware that we may make partial revisions to abstracts in accordance with our editorial policies.
(3) Article Submission Form (The Editorial Review Board members will handle the submission of the Article Submission Form)
- Please download the prescribed form (above), be sure to fill out every item, and send it to the Editorial Review Board members together with Article Draft and Article Abstract files by e-mail. The Editorial Review Board members will handle the submission of the Article Submission Form. Please refer to previous volumes of the journal with regard to English equivalents for the “occupation” (shokugyō 職業), and “position or university affiliation” (mibun 身分, shusshin daigaku 出身大学) fields on the form.
- In a situation where the article cannot be reviewed by a board member, be sure to include a document explaining the reason for this along with the draft. If approved, a review will be conducted by an editorial committee arranged by our office. Please be aware that the editorial and review board reserves the right to reject articles for publication.
(4) Article Data Collection Form
- In order to create a database of journal articles, we ask that all authors fill out the Article Data Collection Form (ronbun dēta saishu shīto 論文データ採取シート). Please download the prescribed form (above), be sure to fill out every item, and send it along with (1) the Article Draft, (2) the Article Abstract. Please keep in mind that although the Data Collection Form has some items that are duplicated on the Article Submission Form, both must be filled out in their entirety.
(5) Deadlines, Submission Procedures, etc.
- In principle, all items should be created with a computer, and an electronic copy should be submitted.
The electronic copy may be sent either as an e-mail attachment, or on some form of digital media, such as USB memory, and included with the paper-copy of the draft. We cannot accept electronic data in TeX format. Please also keep in mind that because we are unable to return submitted any digital media, be sure to make a personal copy before submitting your draft or data.
- In principle, we only grant one author revision. During the revision process, please refrain from making any additions to the draft.
- The deadline for drafts is:
For papers written in Japanese with English abstracts, documentation must arrive at our office by September 27th (Tuesday).
For papers written in European languages with Japanese abstracts, documentation must arrive by October 25th (Tuesday).
We cannot publish drafts received after this. (Updated July 13, 2022)